Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I go on forever.


I love this picture. Took it when I was going to PVR Juhu, Mumbai to watch Yeh Saali Zindagi for a second time. I like how the cars and the lights are blurred in the picture. Like everything but the tree is transient.

Okay, I'll stop with the pretentious fuckery, now.

Pranidhi's new post got me thinking about etymology. I think it's really cool how words from a different language change form and are used in another language, in the same connotation. Like tikozi. For those who don't know, a tikozi is that cloth cover you put on a teapot to keep it warm. The word originates from "tea-cosy" which is what the British used to call it. We picked it up and Indianised it.

Another word whose origin has always fascinated me is 'thug'. Did you know it was taken from the Hindi thug?

I always wondered why my nanaji called the waiters at the Delhi Gymkhana Club baira. Finally asked him about it last year. He told me the word was adapted from 'bearer' which is what the British used to call their man-servants. Try saying it with a British accent. You'll see what I mean.

Got a class in 35 minutes. Later!

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know about the Hindi thug. Does it mean the same? I suppose since you've mentioned it in this context, it does.

    Very cool about the baira n tikozi though. I knew both words, but never connected them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Espera It does, yeah. The Hindi thug means to loot someone when it's used as a verb. And thug - Hindi or English - means a robber.

    Haina? I didn't either, pehle!


    @The Blue Periwinkle x]

    ReplyDelete