Saturday, November 28, 2015

Shaadi Mubaarak!

One of my best friends got married a few days ago. I'm happy for her, I really am. But, it's a bittersweet sort of happiness.  

Our friendship was always...there. I don't know how to explain it exactly. It's like whenever I came back home, I knew I would meet her. We would never get overly excited to meet each other because it always seemed like we were picking up from the last time we spoke/met. You know, how with some people you have a certain comfort regardless of how long it's been since you met them last? That's what we're like. 

Or were like, should I say. Not that we won't meet or talk anymore. But, it's going to be different. She is part of a tag team, now. Everything will be a joint decision. And they've been dating for a while, so it's not like they weren't important for each other before. But, there's something about marriage that enhances that relation. Everything else just fades into the background. 

You know, I've been trying to think why things change, or why marriage is just not the same as being in a long term relationship. Is it that it works as an announcement to the world? But, relationships work like that, as well. Is it that families are involved? No, that's true for a lot of relationships, too. Co-habitation? Not necessarily true for all marriages, and it could  happen even before.

I don't have any solid answers. What I do know is that it feels like the end of an era. 

1 comment: